Instructions: You are to research and develop a cloud migration strategy for the set of software…
You are to research and develop a cloud migration strategy for the set of software listed below. The details of the software stack have been left intentionally vague. This is to allow you to focus on the ‘how’ of developing a cloud migration strategy vs. the particular ‘what’ of migrating a certain software stack.
You have been hired to help a local insurance company move its outdated infrastructure from an on premise data centre to a cloud provider. The first part of your assignment is to evaluate the options for moving to the cloud and producing a strategy document as well as a presentation about your strategy. This presentation will be to the CEO and Board of Directors.
Below is a description of their main applications that run in the data centre:
ILC – Custom built – modern and well architected – time entry software for billing against internal projects. This could be tracked on paper and reconciled in the event there is downtime.
Please come up with a phased approach about how you might migrate these items to the cloud and what cloud technologies might be best suited to serve these applications.
• 10-12 page cloud migration strategy document
• Topics should include:
• An explanation what a cloud migration is, why it is a good idea
• A description of the common strategies that are used to migrate applications to the cloud
• Refactoring / Re-architecting
• Migration approach to the ILC software portfolio
• A overall phased approach for migration of the above software portfolio
• Migration strategy for each application (which of the above strategies make the most sense for a given app – there is no “correct” answer, you will need to justify your choice.)